BACK DAT DATA UP!
Need info on how to back up or sync the data on your phone or tablet? We’ve got your back with the scoop on what to do and how to do it.
HOW TO SYNC OR BACK UP YOUR PHONE
- Head to phone guides and user manuals
- Enter your phone’s brand and model (or use the drop down menus)
- Select our handy-dandy user guide OR search the interactive phone guides for “sync” or “back up”
Heads Up! If you can’t find what you need on our support pages, you can also get info on backing up and syncing from your phone manufacturer’s website or head to a Virgin Plus store with a Service Lounge and get hands-on technical support.
HOW TO SYNC CONTACTS USING YOUR GMAIL ACCOUNT
GOT QUESTIONS? WE CAN HELP.
What’s the difference between syncing and backing up?
Regularly synchronizing and backing up your phone or tablet protects you from losing contacts, pictures, music and other data and keeps your phone updated. You can sync and back up your phone locally (to your computer hard drive or a back-up drive) or remotely (cloud storage).
Synchronizing (syncing or synching) is a two-way exchange of info between two phones/tablets so they both contain identical data. So, say you add a song to your tablet and take a photo with your phone; syncing will copy the song to your phone and the photo to your tablet so that the data on both is identical.
- Syncing allows you to access the same contacts, photos, videos, music and other data on all your phones/tablets.
- Many phones and apps allow you to automatically sync data across all your phones/tablets whenever you make changes.
Backing up is a one-way transfer of info from one phone/tablet to another, copying any changes made since your last backup. This creates a ‘spare’ copy of your data that you can restore when you upgrade to a new phone, or if your phone is ever lost, stolen or damaged.
- Many phones and software allow you to schedule automatic backups of your data.
What is cloud storage?
Cloud storage refers to uploading data from your phone to an online storage location, creating a remote copy of your files. This makes it easy to sync, back up and share your contacts, photos, documents, music and apps with all your compatible phones/tablets.
- Many phones include built-in cloud storage apps. Check your phone’s user guide for more info.
- There are also third-party cloud storage apps available, including iCloud for iPhone and iPad, Google Drive, and OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive).
Heads up! Copying data to the cloud from your phone/tablet can consume your plan data. To avoid using your plan data, backup using Wi-Fi.
What is local storage?
Local storage refers to uploading data from your phone to your computer or a back-up drive, creating a local back-up copy of your files. You can also sync data stored locally on your PC or Mac with your phone/tablet. For example, you can copy music from your computer to your phone/tablet or sync contacts between your phone/tablet and computer.
- You can use the software provided by your phone manufacturer or third-party apps to sync or back up.
You can connect your phone/tablet to your computer using the USB cable that comes with your phone/tablet. You can also connect wirelessly using Bluetooth® or Wi-Fi.
Still need help?
To purchase products or services, or to move your services, call us to speak with an agent.
Or call 1-888-999-2321
For service in Cantonese or Mandarin
Monday to Saturday: 9am -9pm (Local time)
Sunday: 10am - 7pm (Local time)