TRANSFERRING PHONE RESPONSIBILITY.
Moving your account (your phone, phone number and agreement) to someone else is called a transfer of responsibility, and Members do it for all kinds of reasons. You could be leaving the country for a year or so and wanna have someone to take over your awesome account while you’re gone. Or you’re ready to have an account under your own name so Mom stops getting your bills. (Tell her we said hi.)
Transferring your account to someone else’s name is different than cancelling it because the account’s still active. Plus, you don’t have to pay a termination fee since someone else is taking over the account for you.
Remember, you’re still responsible for account usage and bill payments until the transfer of responsibility is complete.
Here’s what you need to do.
For the Member moving the account:
- Make sure your balance is paid up and up to date. (Thanks!)
- Make sure your Virgin Plus account is active and has been active for at least 6 months.
- Before handing over your phone to the new Member, delete all your personal info and content first (especially those embarrassing selfies).
- Give us a shout to complete the transfer or check out other ways to Contact us.
We’ll need to speak with the Member (account holder) to complete the transfer, so please make sure he/she is available when you call or just give our Care rep his/her phone number so they can call and complete the transfer all at once.
For the Member taking over the account:
- Before contacting us, you must confirm that the Member whose account you’re taking over has authorized the change with us. (Until they’ve done that, the change can’t happen.)
- If you’re a current or former Virgin Plus Member, your balance must be paid up and up to date.
- If you don’t have an account with us already and will be taking over an account that bills you monthly, we’ll need to do a credit check. That requires a Driver’s license and a valid Canadian credit card or social insurance number. (And yes, they have to be in your name.)
- To take over an account that bills you monthly, you must have reached the legal age of majority where you live.
- Contact us.
- To transfer responsibility of an account that bills you monthly, there will be a one-time charge of $45 per account. This charge will be added to the new Member’s first invoice, so you might want to let them know about it.
- There’s no service charge for transferring responsibility between two Prepaid accounts.
- Good to know
- If you’ve got a security deposit on your monthly account, your deposit will be applied to any outstanding balance on your current bill, and any remaining deposit will be sent to you via refund by cheque (within 4 to 6 weeks) or by credit card (within 10 business days), depending on how you paid for your deposit.
- If you’re transferring a Prepaid phone and have funds remaining on your account, the funds aren't transferable or refundable. Sorry ‘bout that.