SETTING UP A SMARTWATCH PLAN WITH NUMBERSHARE ON YOUR APPLE WATCH.
Setting up a Smartwatch plan
If you have an Apple Watch with cellular connectivity, you can connect it to the Virgin Plus network by signing up for a Smartwatch plan with NumberShare™.
This lets you make calls, send messages and stay connected with just your Apple Watch – even when you’re away from your iPhone.
To set up a Smartwatch plan with NumberShare, you’ll need:
- An Apple Watch Series 3 or Series 4 (GPS + Cellular models) and an iPhone 6 or later. The phone must be operating on iOS 11 or later.
- An Apple Watch Series 5 or later (GPS + Cellular models) and an iPhone 6s or later. The phone must be operating on iOS 13 or later.
- A Virgin Plus Mobility postpaid plan with data.
- A My Account profile associated with the primary phone number. Register for My Account if you haven’t already done so.
The Apple Watch with cellular connectivity has an eSIM (a small, built-in SIM card), so you don’t need a separate SIM card.
You’ll be prompted to set up a Smartwatch plan when you first pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone (look for the option to set up cellular). If you don’t set it up right away, you can do it later through the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
Heads up: Make sure that your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network and has Bluetooth switched on.
- Make sure your iPhone is updated to iOS 12 or later, you’ve registered for My Account and have your username and password ready.
- Ensure Bluetooth is turned on and that your iPhone is connected to the Virgin network or Wi-Fi.
- Launch the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap Start Pairing.
- After Apple Watch pairing is complete, tap Set Up Cellular.
- Add the Smartwatch plan for $10/mo.
- Enter your My Account username and password.
- Continue to follow the prompts on your iPhone to confirm Apple Watch activation on the Virgin network.
- To sync all of your available iPhone apps on your Apple Watch tap Install All.
- Apple offers more information on setting up cellular on your Apple Watch.
Coverage and roaming
Apple Watch cellular connectivity works in Canada where there is VoLTE coverage. International roaming is currently not available.
Outside of VoLTE coverage areas, you can use your smartwatch with Bluetooth.
Using Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby
If your Apple Watch has a Smartwatch plan with NumberShare, you can use it independently, even if your iPhone is in a different location.
Your iPhone must be turned on in order for your Apple Watch to send and receive text messages, iMessages and email. You can however make and receive calls from your Apple Watch when your iPhone is turned off or out of battery.
Setting up a Smartwatch plan – resolving error messages
If you receive the following error message, you need to update the carrier settings on your iPhone: “Virgin Plus does not currently support Apple Watch. Visit https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/ for more information about Apple Watch cellular plans.”
On your iPhone, please update your Carrier Bundle to version 29.1 or newer. To do so, follow these steps:
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
- Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.
To see the version of carrier settings on your iPhone, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.
Heads up: If you’ve recently inserted a new SIM card into your iPhone, you may need to update the carrier settings.