Warning Msg Title

Warning Msg Content


How to apply for tax exemptions related to the Indian Act

If you're eligible under the Indian Act, you can claim an HST exemption for goods and services supplied on a reserve.

Eligible residents in Ontario or on the Canadian side of the Akwesasne reserve, can also claim an exemption for qualifying goods and services acquired off a reserve. The off-reserve exemption only applies to the 8% Ontario component of the HST. Goods like mobile phones and HD PVRs, for example, as well as telecommunications services qualify for the exemption.

When claiming a tax exemption, you need to provide a copy of your Certificate of Indian Status Card issued by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada.

To submit a claim for tax exemption:

  1. Download our tax exempt request form and fill out your information (you'll need Adobe Reader).
  2. Save your completed form to your computer (to send by email) or print it if you want to mail or fax it.
  3. Send us the completed form and a copy of your tax exemption certificate (e.g. Indian Status Card, front and back) by email, fax or mail.

    • Email (only PDF files please): member_validations@virginplus.ca
    • Mailing address:
      Virgin Plus Canada
      15 Asquith Avenue
      6th Floor
      M5T 1J7
    • Fax: 1-833-880-4510

Heads Up! You'll need to pay the full amount of your bill, including taxes, until your application is approved. But, once it's approved, future taxes won't be applied to your account.

Learn more about the Ontario First Nations Point-of-Sale Exemptions on the HST.

Learn more about the Indian Status from Indian and Northern Affairs Canada.

Still need help?